We have you covered
Waste management, sewer & water supply
We have you covered
Local and state government authorities involved in the provision of essential infrastructure and services, such as water, sewer and waste management, are faced with a raft of often competing commercial, environmental and governance issues.
Whether the matter involves the provision and funding of critical infrastructure, assessment of designated development, questions of environmental management, contract administration, issues surrounding the delivery of day to day services or liaising with other agencies, our lawyers are expert at assisting our government clients deal with these issues in an informed, effective and coherent manner.
With clients including state government corporations, local councils and county councils, across metropolitan and rural NSW, LTL provides its clients with all the expertise and certainty they require.
Where we can assist
The specialist legal services we offer our clients in relation to waste management, sewer and water supply issues, include:
- drafting, review and advice on municipal waste management service contracts
- advice on insolvency issues pertaining to municipal waste management service contractors
- advice on the application of Part 4 and Part 5 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 for waste management facilities, including matters arising from the Infrastructure SEPP
- advice on development servicing plans and the provision of headworks infrastructure for water supply, sewerage and drainage
- advice on the imposition of fees and charges for water supply and sewerage, including annual charges for the provision of domestic waste management services under the Local Government Act 1993
- advice regarding wilful or negligent waste or misuse of water from a public water supply
- advice on environment protection licences for waste disposal, waste transport and waste transfer activities
- advice on approvals under the Local Government Act 1993 and Water Management Act 2000
- advice on the development of waste management policies and trade waste agreements
- advice on contaminated land management, pollution control and remediation of land
- advice in relation to easements for water supply and sewer infrastructure
- advice on all related powers and duties of the provider under the Local Government Act 1993 and other legislation
- advice on trade practices, fair trading issues, and competition issues affecting the business
- advice on network supplier and retail supplier licences and issues arising under the Water Industry Competition Act 2006
- advice on public-private partnerships, joint ventures and the like
- advice on potential liability under all legislation affecting the provider, including advice on potential risks and potential liability for negligence at common law