Posted on July 17, 2012 by Stuart Simington
A new planning system for NSW
On 14 July 2012, the NSW Government released its green paper A New Planning System for New South Wales – Green Paper.
The Green Paper is the NSW Government’s initial response to the recommendations of the Independent Panel that undertook a review of the NSW Planning System and contains 23 recommendations.
The Panel’s report – The Way Ahead for Planning in NSW – was also released on 14 July 2012. It contained 374 recommendations.
The Green Paper has been released for community consultation, following which the Government will release a White Paper and Exposure Bill for further public consultation.
The Government intends to present new planning legislation to the Parliament in early 2013.
The Green Paper sets out a blueprint for change in the following areas:
- Community participation – The major shift in the new planning system is to engage communities as an integral part of making key planning decisions that will affect the growth of their communities.
- Strategic focus – A major shift to evidence based strategic planning in terms of planning effort, community and stakeholder engagement and decision making.
- Streamlined approval – A shift to a performance based system in which duplicative layers of assessment have been removed, decisions are fast and transparent, and code complying development is maximised.
- Provision of infrastructure – A genuine integration of planning for infrastructure with the strategic planning of land use so that infrastructure that supports growth is funded and delivered.
The Government intends the new legislation to be an ‘enabling Act’, establishing the broad framework of the planning system. Detailed controls will be contained in guidance and good practice advisory notes.
Submissions on the Green Paper can be made until Friday 14 September 2012. Local Councils benefit from an extended deadline, and may make submissions up until Friday 5 October 2012. Submissions may be made by any of the following methods:
- Online forum http://haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/newplanningsystem
- By post to the New Planning System Team, Department of Planning and Infrastructure, GPO Box 39, Sydney 2001.
- Face to face and online events and workshops will allow the public and industry representatives to provide feedback.